Sometimes I wonder if I should adjust my profession a little. Perhaps I should use my psychology degree a little bit more.
In the class I subbed in today, the kids were doing some PSSA practice questions, and the last one we worked on today dealt with writing a short essay on something they had to learn how to do. Most kids wrote about learning to ride a bike, learning to walk, etc, but one student wrote about something very different. He wrote that his mom was in jail, and that someone else had to take care of them, and that she'd been in jail eight times for various things. I only skimmed the essay and didn't read it all, because I felt like that was private and that I shouldn't be reading it. However, I was concerned enough about it to leave a note for his regular teacher.
This incident brought forth to the front of my mind that continual question that I've been going over in my head for the past few months: did I pick the right thing to do in grad school? Perhaps I shouldn't go for another certification, but instead do the master's in school psychology. I really feel for kids like that, and I wish I could help them. On the other hand, what if I couldn't handle doing something like that? I'm sure it is not an easy profession. One could see that simply by judging by the program - the psychology degree is 60 credits, but the reading and language arts program that I initially applied for is only 30.
I guess I'll have to meet with my advisor and give it some more thought.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment