Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Snow Day



I have to say, despite the fact that I'm an adult, there is still something exciting about a snow day. Really, I think everyone should have them! I don't go outside to play anymore (unless you count shoveling the driveway), but I still don't have to go and do work, and that's always nice. Instead, I get to spend my day doing some cleaning, going to the gym, watching Oprah, and playing the occasional video game. Sounds like a lot of fun...right?

Yes! Lol, it's definitely fun and relaxing. However, the bad thing about snow days as a substitute teacher is that I only get paid if I work, which means that even though I was supposed to work today, I don't get paid because I didn't go in. Even when they do make up the day, I might not get a call on the makeup day, which means I won't make up that money. If I was a permanent faculty member with a full time job it wouldn't be a big deal, and I'd surely welcome that snow day with open arms, glad for a chance to relax. I don't mean to complain, and yes it's nice to be off...but money is tight, and I unfortunately need to work.

So the next time you hear about a snow day and think about how lucky we are to be off, remember that some of us would almost rather be working.

No comments:

Post a Comment