Saturday, January 24, 2009

One Day at a Time

In the life of a teacher, not every day is going to be a good day. Yesterday was one of those days. Ok, let me rephrase that: it was just one of those classes. I had 6th grade for the first time, and let me just say that they were little hellions. I would even say that it was one of the worst (if not THE worst) class I've had in my short teaching career. I've subbed in every grade from K-8, so I've seen a lot of students from a few different schools. But these kids were just awful!

I'm not sure exactly why they were so bad. It's not like they were throwing things or hitting each other; they just would not shut up! I raised my voice so many times and had to yell pretty loudly to be heard. I even had to give out demerits to one kid; I felt so terrible, but clearly he was used to getting punished and didn't care one bit. I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I see them again. I'm grateful for the CSW break, so I won't have to see them until February. However, time flies. It will certainly be here soon enough.

I'm trying not to complain here, because I knew this job wasn't going to be easy. I just wish I wasn't so frustrated. Perhaps it will be easier with more experience, and hopefully the kids will settle down soon. I don't want to have to be mean and do something drastic, like give everyone detention!

No comments:

Post a Comment