Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Parting is such sweet sorrow...

As I sit here at my desk, surveying my nearly empty classroom, I can't help but feel a sense of sadness at the passing of the school year. Sure, I'm looking forward to summer vacation - swimming, reading, doing another show, not running around from place to place like a nut - but there's something about an empty, bare classroom that makes me a little wistful.

Looking back on the semester I've spent teaching music, I realize that I've learned just as much as the students have (especially since this isn't my certification area!). I've really enjoyed teaching them about a subject that I'm truly passionate about, and I hope it has shown in my work. I can't believe how fast this semester has gone, and I wonder where the time goes. Can it really be June 3rd already? Have I really been doing this since January 3rd?

Overall, I would say that despite the hardships, this has been a fruitful year. I'll really miss my students over the summer (although I don't doubt for a second that I'll run into them), and from the way they acted today, they'll miss me too. I'm sad that I won't get to see these kids next year, because as of Friday, my job at this school is over. They'll have their regular music teacher back, and I'll (hopefully) have a job somewhere else.

Am I meant to be a teacher? Maybe, maybe not; I still don't know the answer to that. What I do know is that I am certainly wiser for having spent the past year being a teacher, and the knowledge and experience I've gained from it cannot be gained from any book, any person, or any other profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment